Thursday, December 16, 2010

What I'm Loving: Pierogies

Pierogies - very strange sounding, right? I am obsessed with them, and my obsession with them has come in waves since I was a kid.

Pierogies are an Eastern European food that of course made its way through immigrants to the United States, and have been a part of the culture every since. I remember being a young kid and Mom would sometimes get them at the store, and I was hooked from the beginning.

A pierogie is a mashed potato filled ravioli, for lack of a more elegant description. But can you think of any two more wonderful things in the world, then put them together?! Yes, they are delicious. There are a myriad of ways to prepare them; bake, fry, saute, boil. My personal favorite is a trick I discovered in college - use the Snackster. The Snackster is a delightful little griddle made for grilled cheese sandwiches, but the pierogies fits perfectly into the triangular holdings. Shut the lid, let them go for a few minutes, and heaven arrives in food form.

Mrs. T, you're the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment